5 Star ResourceSmart School
St Columba's is a 5 Star ResourceSmart School and is committed to ensuring our school community leads the way in sustainable practices and actions. As such, sustainability is firmly embedded across the school and within the curriculum. Our whole school approach to sustainability encourages and assists students P-6 to develop an understanding of the environment, our relationship with it and our responsibility for its future.
Eco Warrior Program
Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden
A new addition to the school is the establishment of our Stephanie Alexander Kitchen garden program. All students P-6 have throughout the year have the opportunity to learn:
- about their natural environment and how to care for gardens
- practical skills: recycling, composting, planting, harvesting
- life skills: cooperating, sharing, critical thinking and leadership
Nature Play Area
Currently the school is developing in consultation with our students a new nature play area. We are very excited for this addition as we believe it will complement and enrich our sustainability programs whilst also supporting children socially, emotionally and academically. The premise behind nature play is learning through nature encourages creativity, problem solving, symbolic play and assists with gross motor skills and hand eye coordination. The new nature play spaces will provide further opportunities for children to explore new ideas and to develop their interests and understanding of the world. We would like to thank and acknowledge the assistance of the Australian Government for providing funding through the Local Schools Community Fund to assist with the completion of this project.
Parent Green Team
The School Garden
The St Columba's community has been working hard to transform the campus gardens into nurturing green spaces for learning and enjoyment.
- 2016 Port Phillip Green School of the Year Award
- 2017 Port Phillip Water Warriors Award
- 2018 Port Phillip Bay Keeper Award
- 2018 5 Star ResourceSmart School Award
- 2019 Port Phillip Bay Keeper Award
- 2019 Nominated for ResourceSmart School of the Year (Final 3)
- 2020 ResourceSmart Teacher of the Year Stephanie Young
- 2020 ResourceSmart Volunteers of the Year The Green Team