Student behaviour and discipline
There are high expectations of student behaviour at St Columba’s School.
- Every teacher has the right to teach in a safe and respectful environment.
- Every child has the right to learn in a happy and orderly learning environment.
- The playing area should be a safe and happy place for all children.
- When everyone knows the limits, and experiences the benefits of operating within them, learning is an enjoyable and enriching experience for all.
- Students can take action. Talking to someone responsible is important when they have concerns.
- Reports of bullying behaviour are taken seriously and appropriate action is put in place.
- The learning of other students should not be affected by the discipline strategies implemented.
We believe that every student has the right to:
- Feel safe and be safe
- Be safe
- Be respected
- To learn
We believe teachers have a right to educate.
We believe that we are all responsible to maintain this code of behaviour.
Therefore we endorse the following:
- Everyone in our school has a responsibility to help others to feel safe and be safe.
- Everyone needs to respect the right of the teacher to educate and the right of students to learn.
- We all need to follow classroom and playground rules.
- We all must respect the belongings of others.
- We all need to respect each other’s personal space.
- No one should use language that is disrespectful – swearing is unacceptable.
- No one in our school should BULLY others – our school is a No Bullying Zone.